PARMESAN HASSELBACK SWEET POTATO WITH AVOCADO CREAM
I love potatoes. Cheesy potatoes, mashed potatoes, french fries, scalloped potatoes, hash browns, you name it. It's a cheap way to stretch a meal and a crowd favorite every time. But now that I'm an adult and have to behave myself a little more when it comes to overindulging, sweet potatoes have become a new mainstay in my kitchen.
I'm a little late to get on this hasselback trend, though we did do a fabulous how-to video over on Recipe.com a while back. Basically, before baking, you slice the potato—but not all the way through! This way, you can trap all the goodies inside for a gooey, cheesy dish.
My advice to you, if you're impatient and hungry, like I so often am—microwave the potato for a few minutes before baking it. This will speed things up immensely—and your olive oil won't have to spend so much time in the oven. My smoke alarm is quite temperamental, so this was a key point for me.
After you cut the potato and microwave it, use a spoon to drizzle olive oil between each slice. Sprinkle sea salt on top, then bake for 45 minutes in a 425° oven. While it's baking, you'll make the avocado cream to your liking.
If you're making this dish for one, use half an avocado. You can do this by hand in a bowl or use your food processor. Mix avocado with olive oil, garlic (minced or powder), and sea salt. If you're looking for a super-smooth sauce, use the food processor for best results. Serve on top or on the side.
If you're making this for one, follow this recipe. If you're making two, simply double the recipe.
1 medium sweet potato
2-3 tbsp olive oil
garlic – minced or powder
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Slice the potato, about 1 cm slices down 3/4 of the way
3. Microwave potato about 3-4 minutes to start cooking
4. Drizzle olive oil using a small spoon between each slice + sprinkle sea salt on top
5. Bake for 45-50 min
6. Combine avocado, olive oil, garlic, and sea salt (to taste) in food processor or small bowl
7. When potato is done baking, stuff parmesan in between each slice and bake for another 5 min
8. Serve with avocado cream on top or on the side