COPYCAT ZUPPA TOSCANA
Ugh, what a week. It's chilly (which I'm into), and I have the cold from hell (which I'm not). The only remedy I could think of? My favorite soup, in major family-sized quantities.
We're getting ready to host a huge housewarming party this weekend, and I just can't afford to be sick. So instead of eating all the fruits and veggies and hydrating (I mean, I do that all day long...), I decided nourishing, stick-to-your-ribs food was the way to go. Plus, there's kale in this, so it basically counts as a detox.
It seriously takes just over thirty minutes to make this Olive Garden favorite, and a serving (this makes 4) is around 300 calories. I'm no nutritionist, but that's probably a bit healthier than OG's version.
1 pound ground sausage (i used jimmy dean's all-natural)
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp flour
64 oz chicken stock (2 regular sized cartons)
6 russet potatoes
1 cup heavy cream (yeah, you bet)
6 cups torn kale pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1. add sausage to a large soup pot and crumble/stir while it cooks over medium heat.
2. once the sausage is beginning to brown, add onion and garlic. continue to stir until sausage is cooked through and onions are translucent.
3. sprinkle flour in and stir, then pour in all the chicken stock and bring to boil.
4. while all of that is happening (seriously start this part while the sausage is cooking) wash your potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. use your best knife to slice into reaaaallly thin slices (like thick potato chips!)
5. once soup is boiling, add potatoes. cook 20 minutes at a boil, until potatoes are tender.
6. reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream and kale. cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. serve hot and with bread, obviously!