INDIAN SWEET POTATO-CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Soup cures all. That's been my motto for as long as I can remember—if Riley or I was sick when we were little, Mom would make soup and Dad would go get Gatorade and plenty of trashy celeb magazines to keep us sane.
Now, both Jordan and I have been sick for WEEKS and we needed a meal that would help us function like normal humans again. Mom isn't here and we have a pup to parent—no sick days for us! Luckily, this nourishing soup has tons of vitamins and a nice kick to it (to clear out the sinuses)!
PRINT THE RECIPE HERE.
1 tbsp olive oil (or other oil)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
1-2 tbsp curry powder, to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
6 cups vegetable broth
1 medium cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 large handfuls baby spinach
1 cup cooked brown rice
generous pinch sea salt + cracked black pepper
chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
1. in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. add onion & garlic and saute for 5-6 minutes, until translucent.
2. stir in ginger, 1 tbsp curry powder, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes.
3. add broth and stir to combine. bring mixture to a low boil, then reduce heat & simmer 5 minutes.
4. stir in cauliflower and sweet potato. cover and reduce heat to low. simmer 20-25 minutes, until cauliflower and sweet potato are tender. stir in cooked rice. season with salt and pepper, and add more curry powder, if desired. stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
5. serve topped with cilantro and with a thick, chewy hunk of bread (or naan!).
this recipe was adapted from the Oh She Glows Cookbook.